Ole Miss defeated Northern Arizona in somewhat pedestrian fashion, 38-14, Saturday night at Vaught…
Tuesday Practice Report
The video of his impromptu talk to the Rebs is on the front page of The Spirit. Dungy had two specific points to make.
"I know you had high expectations coming into the season and things have not worked out as well as you had hoped to this point. I have been through that same scenario with the Colts," said Dungy. "In fact, that happened the year we won the championship.
"I have two thoughts to leave you with. If you unite and stick together, you have the power and ability to finish the season strong, but it's up to you. Don't worry about anything anyone else is saying or any outside influences. Stick together and make it happen. Two, whether you win or lose in the last three regular season games and then your bowl game, remember that you play football, but that's not your entire life. Make sure you live the right way and trust in God so that future generations will say they want to be like the guys on the 2009 Rebel team. That's the legacy that matters the most."
Ole Miss Coach Houston Nutt was elated to have Dungy speak to his team as the Rebels prepare for the stretch run, starting with Tennessee this Saturday in Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
"Coach Dungy talks the talk but he walks it and lives it. He's one of the greatest coaches ever and to have him here speaking to us was a great honor," said Nutt. "He was in the vicinity and I asked him if he would speak to our team. It was very gracious of him to do it.
"It was a message that teams who stayed focused, teams who don't care who gets the credit, teams that hustle and do what's right on and off the field are the ones who end up winning."
Nutt was happy with the Rebs' performance in practice. It was a full-pad workout that went about 30 minutes beyond the planned schedule.
"I was proud of the way the kids took the field and concentrated today," Houston continued. "They had a lot of energy and went through every period with a lot of focus."
* Backup Free Safety/Strong Safety Fon Ingram (knee) was not at practice on Tuesday. If you recall, he left the game against Northern Arizona due to injury. His status for the UT game is uncertain right now. In his absence, Jared Mitchell was running with the second team defense behind Kendrick Lewis at FS. "His knee is swollen and we don't know his status for Saturday yet," Nutt stated.
* Backup MLB D.T. Shackelford is still struggling with his ankle, as has been the case for several games. "With D.T. - he's so valuable to us because he's on a couple of special teams and he backs up Jonathan Cornell. We are hoping he'll be ready," Nutt said.
* WR Jesse Grandy (bruised thigh) and SS Johnny Brown (groin) missed the NAU game, but were back in the fold Tuesday at practice. Both are said to be "ready to go" for Tennessee.
* OTs John Jerry and Bradley Sowell, who were suspended for the NAU game, were back in their familiar spots at practice, working with the first team offense. Also with the top unit were LG Reid Neely, C Daverin Geralds and RG Brandon Green.
* DE Greg Hardy was at practice Tuesday despite rumors of the contrary. Hardy and his Mother met with Dr. Bob Anderson, who did his latest foot surgery and does most of the foot work for NFL players, in Memphis two weeks ago and Anderson told Greg to finish the season. Hardy intends to do just that.
* Nutt was asked about the announcement from Chancellor Dan Jones eliminating "From Dixie With Love" from the band's play list at games. "Whatever he thinks is best, I am backing," Nutt said. "I'm sure he spent a lot of time studying it and had a lot of counsel on the subject. I believe he knows what's best."
OMSpirit.com Recommended Stories
Dr. Roto Video: Week 12 Key Matchups
Dr. Roto highlights each and every game upcoming for Week 12 and a Fantasy matchup to monitor within. Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon (pictured above) makes his return against the less-than-stellar…Read More
The 10 Biggest Anti-Knife Cities In The U.S.
If you're a hunter or an outdoorsman like us, chances are you carry some sort of pocket knife or multi-tool with a blade at all times. If you visit some of these cities your every-day tool could put…Read More
6 Biggest Man-to-Man Rivalries in Sports
From Pierce and Lebron to Peyton and Tom to Ali and Frazier, we're celebrating love/hate on and off the field of play.Read More
NFL Week 12: Every Game Previewed
It's a wild slate of games this Sunday with several matchups that involve playoff seeding implications and a few divisional showdowns.Read More
Apache Administers Death to Taliban (VIDEO)
The Apache helicopter is one of the most famed and efficient killing machines in the U.S Army. Get the skinny on this 'steel dragon' and watch what one does to a platoon of Taliban fighters in…Read More
- Javon Patterson has committed to Ole Miss ...
- Memphis radio
- Rebels should give time for basketball team to gel.
- 4-Star CB Tony Bridges commits to Ole Miss
- List your favorite excuse for not building the symmetrical NEZ: